Wednesday 20 August 2014

Finding my feet

20th August 2014


You know an online supplier is good when they send you a bag of Haribo with every order. DPD turned up after lunch so set off round the local trails to try out my sparkly new gear! 


I'd bought a couple of jerseys depending on how far the temperature drops, but by the end of the ride I was streaming even with just a wind proof jacket on. Reassuring to know you're ready for whatever the winter has lined up for you! 


Was the first time I'd properly ridden the bike off-road and can honestly say I was smiling just as much as I'd dreamed. Found it certainly pays to have a lightweight bike to haul over the sties and gates when they're padlocked, the farmers must have seen me coming. One thing that did spring to mind was the views you get from riding away from the road, surrounded by fields of grass and crops, the different shades and consistencies of mud adds to a more pleasingly technical ride!


After arriving home I showered and dressed ready to visit the Local Bike Shop (LBS) to complete my collection of mtb clothing with clipless pedals and shoes. 
Obviously had to do my homework on why road and even off-road riders would dare wear these devices in such conditions. Surely you'd fall over far too easily if you couldn't unclip your feet in a hurry? But every online video and blog assured me that clipping in and out of SPD's would soon become second nature. 
However, after successful fitting shiny new pedals and cleats to my shoes it became apparent the cleat tension needed adjusting as I came tumbling to the ground after failing to clip in my second foot. But this was to be expected, I decreased the tension to help my shoes release from the pedals easier. 


Only time will tell how long before I can clip-out quick enough before an attempted wheelie goes horribly wrong! But as they say.. 


"If you haven't crashed, you haven't ridden"







No comments:

Post a Comment