Friday 26 September 2014

Long old week

26th September 2014


Little bit down in the dumps today.


Last Sunday's ride abruptly ended after a couple of miles, a distinctive 'clanking' from the rear end prompted some investigating. Quick bit of poking about revealed several cogs on the cassette were worryingly loose, resulting in that clunky sound when rolling over dinky holes in the road. 


Trip to Halfrauds for essential removal tools, the steed was elevated on the inspection stand for immediate surgery. 


Minutes later my shiny cluster of engineering beauty was lined up on a cardboard strip awaiting inspection until attention turned to the freehub. It resembled something a mouse has had a go at, the little steel buggers had chewed noggings out of my shiny alloy body. 


Fast forward a week of countless hours of interweb Q's to diagnose what was going on with my back end concluded nothing. Went as far as replacing the entire cassette and freehub in hope of an obvious solution. 
The cassette slid back on the freehub with no play....but could I get the gears to shift perfectly? Like fuck I could. The gears were running true, but cable loose or too tight it really didn't want to know. 


Rewind a couple of weeks, had effortlessly replaced my front derailleur cable and dialed-in correct tensions perfectly. Even better than when I'd bought it. 
I absolutely love tinkering with the old girl. Maintainence and cleaning is a huge thing for me, everything must be perfect and to my high standard. 


What's really took the wind from my sails is the trip I've made to the LBS with it, in final desperation to get her faultless again. Really gutted it's come to this.
No idea when I'd expect a call from BSG (Bike Shop Guy) but really need putting out of my misery after this week, will update when I know more. 










So, back from the LBS. BSG said after 5 mins he couldn't see any major issues, which is great.
Though there are still little niggles..which tells me some of my components just aren't up to my standards of quality! Good weight lifted from my mind if I'm honest, I'd taught myself never to settle for second best and you can bet your arse I'm not starting now.


If I look after her, she'll look after me.




No comments:

Post a Comment